Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Faith that Risks

"Someone has said that faith has three distinct stages:
the faith that reckons,
the faith that rests,
the faith that risks."
- Leonard Ravenhill

It is this faith which I desire. As I look back on my life, I can see the way each has been a part of my life.

The faith that reckons; this faith was a gift from God, which brought me close to Him almost twenty years ago. It is this faith which I still have to go back to in the times when belief is hard, when my soul is tried.

The faith that rests; interestingly, this is the faith I've never struggled with. Since becoming a Christian, resting faith has almost come naturally to me. Yes, I've had times when the resting was interrupted by the winds and waves about me, but for the most part, I "rest easy."

It is the faith that risks which has me challenged. Certainly there have been times in my life when I've taken great risks, and seen God come through. Mostly these have fallen into the financial category. I wonder, though, how much this has affected my spiritual life? Do I take great spiritual risks, and if so, how have they changed me? What have been the results?

1 comment:

jason miller said...

Ha--I'm the first to leave a comment on your blog, just like I was on Sarah's!