Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Who is Jesus? The ultimate question.

The second speaker at Launch Conference was Alan Hirsch.  Alan is a thinker and a provoker.  I say that in the best way possible!  He provokes people to think and reevaluate the direction they are living and leading.  I have found his writings and teachings both educational and challenging.  If you want to learn more about him, you can check out his website here.

I won't write in completion about what he said.  If you are interested, you can find a lot of his teachings online, on iTunes and so forth.  However, one of the things which struck me from this first session was a statement I have heard him speak about before, but bears repeating.  Our Christology (what Scripture teaches us about Jesus) should determine our Missiology (what Scripture says about the mission of Jesus followers) which should then in turn determine our Ecclesiology (how we "do" church).  It looks something like this;

Christology-->Missiology-->Ecclesiology.

When we get this backwards, or even switched around a little, we are in dangerous territory.  In other words, we should never ask "How can we do church better".  Instead, we should ask ourselves what Jesus taught and while on earth, and then examine how we can better reflect him.  Hirsch said "There's something terribly wrong about not reflecting the name of the Person whom we claim."  That, my friends, is truth.

If Jesus is indeed the founder of my faith, my church and my salvation, I must be sure to actually make Him my foundation.  Alan calls this "Re-founding the Church".

What this does is make the need to study the life of Christ that much more important for church leaders, such as myself.  Is my Christology wrong?  Because if it is, I am most definitely leading the wrong way.  He brought up the letter to the church in Laodicea, in which Christ says "I stand at the door and knock."  We find Jesus in this letter standing outside of a church trying to get in.  This should make me ask an important question concerning Faith Country Chapel: Is Jesus on the outside trying to get in?  And if He is, who/what are we worshiping and serving?

No comments: