Friday, July 20, 2012

A Mixed Bag

On occasion, I would like to provide some links of things which have interested me.



First, do you know how many slaves work for you?  There is a way to get an idea of just how big your slavery footprint is.  Head over to http://slaveryfootprint.org/ to find out.  My number ended up being 60, which might have been a little high, as they didn't include questions about some things.  Still, it's a little disturbing, and something I need to be more careful with.  If you want to know what you can do to help, one of the organizations I really like is International Justice Mission.  You can head over the their site to learn a lot more about the slave trade and what we can do to respond.





Gregory Boyd is one of my favorite authors.  On occasion I get an opportunity to listen to his sermons.  This one intrigued me, because in it he deals with the disturbing passages in the Old Testament.  While you may not agree with his conclusions, I would encourage you to listen and consider.  I don't always agree with Boyd, but I always find him challenging and thought provoking.




Another group I really like is Project 7.  They are a for-profit organization which takes their money and gives it to various groups who are doing good in the world, focusing on seven areas of need, including hunger, education and creation care.  They sell water, gum, mints and coffee.  Their motto is "To ensure everyone around the globe has access to fundamental human needs for a healthy life."  Sounds like a great motto to me.  Watch a short video about them here.





Finally, my favorite new comic strip comes from Radio Free Babylon.  These are quite humorous looks at life, particularly religious life.  Since I'm not offended easily, I really enjoy them.  If you don't like people making fun of things which some people take way too seriously, don't read their comics.  You've been warned!




No comments: