Saturday, December 22, 2012

Gun control - Can we have a real conversation?

We have become a nation of "sides".  We all have opinions.  Some of those opinions are even thought out after seeing all angles of an argument.  Most, quite frankly, are not.  I'm not pointing fingers here.  My opinions have gone through seasons, and there have been times I have been very staunch on a subject only to discover that there is more to this argument than at first I saw, and I have had to back down.  I'm not suggesting that isn't the case with some of my very strong opinions now either.  I just don't know which of my opinions might fit into that category, or I would seek to see more sides.

As for right now, I want to say that one of the subjects I am far less "staunch" about these days is gun control.  By the way, please don't judge what I'm about to say with any preconceived notions about me.  I still don't know that there is an answer to this argument.  I have some ideas, some of them I think are good, but might not work.  Most of them aren't as well thought out as I would like.

What I really would like is a conversation.  I want to talk about this, as a nation, but it doesn't seem like we can have that conversation.   There is too much of taking sides.  It's as if those who are siding with the NRA are suggesting that those who talk about gun control want to take all of their guns away, while the extremists who do want to take all the guns away, suggest that those in the NRA are just a bunch of gun totin' hillbillies who just want more massacres to happen.

While there might be some on the extreme sides, I believe most of America lies somewhere in the middle.  For the sake of coming generations, we need to talk about what we can do. To be fair, I don't think any laws put into effect will make a great difference for my generation, but we do have a responsibility to future generations.

So how about a conversation?  I'll start by asking a couple questions...

Is there anything with saying "No automatic or semi-automatic guns belong in the home"?  I know there are some enthusiasts who really love their guns, and I'm okay with you shooting them.  But can't you keep them at the shooting range, locked up?  Then, when you want to kick your shooting into high gear, you go shoot.  And if you need a semi-automatic gun for hunting, maybe you need some more time at the shooting range anyway!

What about this; is there a way to ensure that only the person who bought the gun can shoot it?  Some type of fingerprint system which unlocks the gun?  Then, if it is sold, it has to go through proper channels to exchange hands or it is unable to be used.  Technology has gotten us some huge guns; can't we use it to help these guns not be used in extreme ways?

Okay, so maybe there are answers to these questions I haven't thought of.  And there are likely a lot more questions which need to be asked.  I, for one, am ready to have this conversation.


No comments: