Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Time to talk about homosexuality

I know, I know.  Some people are pretty tired of talking about homosexuality, so even the title of this blog is off-putting.  Oh well.  I don't say it is time to talk about it because it hasn't been discussed, but because in conservative circles, we have tended to shy away from actually talking about it.  We say things like "homosexuality is a sin", and consider that the end of the discussion.

But is it fair to end the discussion that way?  I don't think so.

I'm not going to give a lot of my thoughts here, but I've had several things come across my desk these last couple of weeks which I thought were great conversations.  Some of the people I disagree with, others I agree with.

The first is a video with Rob Bell debating with Andrew Wilson.  This is only a portion of the debate, but it is worth watching.  Bell bothers me a lot in this video.  He suggests, when asked about the truth of Scripture, that truth isn't the most important question, but instead "what works."  That is a dangerous place to take a debate when discussing what God thinks about an issue.

The second is a series of questions and answers given at Woodland Hills Church.  The questions are answered by Gregory Boyd, one of my favorite authors, and Paul Eddy.  There is a lot here, and some other good questions and answers.  What is interesting is that there are three different services in which spend time answering questions, and in each of them there is some type of question dealing with homosexuality and the church.  I tend to really like and appreciate their approach to this question.

Finally, this is an interview given on a Moody radio station to Dale and Jonalyn Fincher.  This is less about our approach to the theology, and more about our approach to the person.  What's interesting about this is that Moody ended up taking the interview down from their website.  You'll notice the link isn't to their website, but to another.

I would encourage you, if you have time, to watch/listen to these.  They present different sides, but all are willing to have the conversation.  This, to me, is the important thing.


No comments: