Monday, February 24, 2014

Reflections on Sunday, February 23, 2014

It was a good day yesterday.  I thought I would share some thoughts on the day while they are still fresh.

We looked at the subject of the Security of the Believer in Sunday School.  Looking through I John, it was interesting to see how much different John is than your average Christian today.  In my experience, most Christians today very much default to sin.  They say "when we sin", God will forgive us.  This is not what John says.  He says "if we sin."  

I commented that I think the big difference is that we talk about our tendency to sin because of our sinful nature.  John, though, points to the life which lives in light, abides in Christ, and avoids the love of the world.  These things, then, lead to a life of inward righteousness, where sin no longer is our default, but instead holiness.  This is true security in Christ!

As for my sermons, I'm preaching through Amos right now.  I'll just say this; preaching the prophets can be very difficult.  It's a wonderful book for our time, but that doesn't make it any less hard!  

The progression in the first oracle against Israel (Amos 2:4-16) is quite interesting, though.  We see Israel's sin against the poor and afflicted, and then see how God treated Israel when they were poor and afflicted, by defeating their enemies and providing for them during their time in the desert.  

Anyway, it's a good passage, and I'm glad God is teaching me a lot through it.  

Sunday evening I'm looking at the Psalms with our small prayer group.  Psalm 4 was where we landed last night.  It's interesting to see how David is reaching out to those who are accusing him.  It's a bit of an evangelistic psalm, which I think is a bit more rare than some other types of psalms.  David tells them how to deal with their need for God.

-          Care for their heart – don’t sin in anger
-          Care for their mouth – be silent
-          Care for their actions – offer sacrifices to God
-          Care for their mind – put their trust in God

No comments: